Music Monthly: December

December 29, 2017


If you're anything like me then Demember has been a time of nostalgia and looking back on things that have happened this past year, for me this has been the most evident through the music that I have been listening to a lot this month. Everything feels nostalgic and reminds me of a feeling or a situation in the past year.



NEW FINDS

Spilt Milk Society's single She Tastes Like Summer is one of those songs that I could have on repeat for the rest of my life, it is so pretty and lovely. This indie/alt band are quickly becoming one of my absolute favourites.

My absolute favourite man Ryan Scott Graham's band Speak Low If You Speak Love have been releasing a few singles to build up the anticipation for their new album and I cannot get over how incredible it all is. My favourite of the two singles so far is for sure Contrasting Colours, purely because of the line 'I'm still waiting for something that you outgrew'.

Why did nobody tell me The Lumineers released an album earlier this year? Why did it take me until the end of the year to be blessed with this magic? Who knows, but I am so glad that I did manage to find it. Everything about this album is so beautiful, as well as the film that goes alongside it. My personal favourite songs from it are In The Light, White Lie and Angela.

Spotify suggested The Band CAMINO to me in one of their discover weekly playlists and I cannot get enough of them at this point, they've made their way into so many of my playlists and have so many absolute bangers. I personally love My Thoughts On You and 2 /14.

I've mentioned her before but Mahalia has released a new single and I couldn't not mention her again because of how insane it is. This woman has one of the most calming, wonderful voices and a heart of gold and the song is just as wonderful as her.

BROCKHAMPTON released their third (?) album of the year and I have only listened to this one (please don't kill me, I'm so late on the hype) but there are for sure some tracks on it that have really stood out for me and that I have fallen in love with. I'm also loving their EP All-American Trash, give CONTACTS and COTTON HOLLOW a listen.

Chase Huglin is an artist that I kept meaning to get around to listening to but like that terrible meme or ignoring things for other things I kept going back to old music I loved.



OLDIES BUT GOLDIES

Recently I re-downloaded Soundcloud and got right back into the remixes that I used to love, I found one of PCH by Jaden Smith and not only did it remind me of how good soundcloud remixes are but also how good that song is. Another Soundcloud favourite of mine from him is Fast.

This then leads me onto my next fave that I have revisited which is Halsey and Lido's take of Fast which was titled Slow. Honestly, sometimes I question whether I ghost wrote this it is such a fucking good song, the way they sampled Fast and then added their own twist to it too, just yes.

Your Graduation by Modern Baseball has been a prominent song this month that kind of summaries a lot of what I have been going through. The line 'bullshit you fucking miss me there I said it I guess I'll talk to you in a few months' actually hurts me to listen to these days because of how real it is to a situation that I have been going through.

December has been the month of gaining some sense of closure, it has come in some very strange ways. Taylor Swift has been there through it all, her music has genuinely been such a source of structure and consistency and her song Long Live really resonates with me at the moment.

Does anyone else remember Duffy or is it just me? Please say it isn't just me! I loveeed her music when I was growing up, I remember singing Warwick Avenue with my mum in the kitchen when I was a kid and recently my love her her has resurrected itself. Syrup and Honey will always be beautiful, as will Please Stay.

When I was about fourteen years old I used to love watching The Voice and fell in love with the contestant Conor Scott's voice and audition. He is probably one of my favourite smaller musicians (almost definitely because he is Irish in such a strong sense you can literally hear the twang in his voice when he sings).  He released an EP last year which I adore, and I have been listening to the track You're Not Hard To Love a heck of a lot.

Finally, I think I will mention Natasha Beddingfield and the single These Words. This is an complete bop and never ever fails to boot my mood - thanks to Lucy Moon for reintroducing me to it when she mentioned it in one of her videos.


As always, my December playlist is at the bottom of the page. Be sure to give it a listen and follow and also check out my other playlists. Thank you so much for all of your support this past year when it comes to my blogging, I have big plans for 2018 so keep your eyes peeled on my social medias for more updates on all of that.


Post a Comment

© Megan Clare. Design by FCD.