Music Monthly: May

May 31, 2018




Can you believe May is already over? This year feels as though it is going by at the speed of light after what felt like a never ending January. As always, music monthly is here to put together a heap of new tunes that I have been listening to pretty much non stop all month, split into two sections of songs I found this month and ones that have been around for a while yet have made their way into my playlists we have a lot of music o get through (I feel like each of these posts is getting longer and longer). Anyway, grab yourself a drink and have a read to find yourself some new tunes and see what I have been loving this past month.

NEW FINDS

They only went and Hamil-dropped a new Hamildrop (wow that was a terrible pun please never let me make that ever again). This is a new take on my favourite song from the musical, Burn, which has been retitled as First Burn and oh my god this is everything. I am literally shook to my core over this song, the production is everything, the video they released for it is insane, the vocals are phenomenal and just wow.

Childish Gambino also known as Donald Glover also known as the love of my life has released his newest track This Is America and I cannot get enough of it. The video is so so clever, it has so many cultural references towards gun violence and the way that American society runs, SZA appears in it too and that has me shook to my very core. This is a track that I listen to in the mornings when I'm doing the school run to make myself feel a bit better about how early I am awake just to cycle for ten minutes!

I got to see my favourite band live this month and they released another new track that is an absolute banger, somehow State Champs will forever be able to completely amaze me with their music. Crystal Ball is such a banger and I loved hearing it live just as much as I love listening to it through my earphones. They are such lovely guys too which is probably another reason that I love them as much as I do.

When I watched Like Crazy the other day I fell in love with the soundtrack, especially the song at the end which is titled Dead Hearts by Stars. Though this one is nowhere to be found on Spotify their track All Your Ex Lovers Are Dead has found a nice spot in my May playlist, it's so chill and I'm literally listening to it as I type this.

Nina Nesbitt released her track The Sun Will Come Up, The Seasons Will Change which was featured on the CW show Life Sentence and it is so beautiful, it is just a constant reminder to live for now and how everything really is temporary. It kind of reminds me of Ed Sheeran's Castle On The Hill but in my perspective this is a better narrative.

I love Julien Baker and her music is laced throughout my playlists, YouTube recommend came up with her song Appointments for me and it is just as haunting and wonderful as everything else that she has created. There is almost a sense of home within her lyrics, they are like a warm hug but also a stab in the chest that make me cry. I don't think I did the best job explaining that but hey you get what I mean (or at least I hope you do anyway).

Whenever I'm working I will put on a lofi/hip hip playlist on from YouTube (here's my favourite) and ever since I have fallen completely in love with that genre of music. For this reason when Joji released Yeah Right it's just been a constant mood, I feel like if my life had a soundtrack this would be the song that played as I fell in love with fuckboy after fuckboy. I've also been loving I Don't Wanna Waste My Time.

My friend introduced me to Aminé's music and ever since Caroline has been stuck in my head non stop because it's a bloody bop.




OLDIES BUT GOLDIES

Coldplay's track Strawberry Swing has been on repeat this month, I only came across it again when I was looking for Troye's song Strawberries & Cigarettes but just fell in love with it all over again. This band will always be such a source of nostalgic happiness for me and this song is the perfect song for the summery months of the year,

When I think of chill music I think of Mahalia who has been one of my favourite artists for the longest time, her songs Borrowers and No Reply made it onto my playlist this month. Alongside that her cover of the Arctic Monkeys song Mardy Bum also made its way into my playlist.

Speaking of the Arctic Monkeys and despite the disappointment of the new album I have been listening to more of their old stuff again. The View From The Afternoon and Love Is A Lazerquest have been two faves this past month, there's something so fun about listening to old music that reminds me of my childhood in the summer months and this band will always be one of the ones that do that for me.

Blackbear was an artist that filled my playlists this time last year and yet for some reason or another I kind of stopped listening to him. This month I remembered his song hell is where i dreamt of you and woke up alone and fell back in love with his music. While I'm for sure nowhere near as obsessed as I once was there is no denying the man has talent.

On this blog we love and respect Kevin Abstract, my friend put Yellow and Empty into a playlist they made for me and I remembered just how good those tracks are. The music is insane, the lyrics are wonderful. Abstract deserves so much more respect and appreciation.

At this point I don't think music monthly is complete without me sharing what BROCKHAMPTON song that I have been loving this past month. SUMMER has been blasting for the obvious reasons of how much better the weather has been getting lately while TOKYO has also been one of my favourites. (Also ENICO purely because my friend Em and I have a tendency to yell 'what the fuck is a Scotland' at each other).

The Japanese House's lyrics will never fail to amaze me, they are so captivatingly haunting and beautiful. Whenever I find myself struggling with my writing I will sit and listen to them and wait for their words to bring me the inspiration that I so desperately need. This month I adored Still.



Post a Comment

© Megan Clare. Design by FCD.