Music Monthly: July

July 30, 2018




This month has been all over the place in terms of music for me, a lot of my favourite artists have been releasing new stuff or re-releasing stuff I already loved which has been wild to say the least. I made a few playlists this month alongside my monthly one and so songs in this post will be coming from all of them.


NEW FINDS

The band that made me fall in love with being alive again came back after their year long hiatus, yes, I'm talking about Twenty Øne Piløts. I didn't know what to expect from their new music and I didn't realise how badly I needed it, and them, again. Without much warning they dropped their two track EP featuring tracks from their upcoming album Jumpsuit and Nico and the Niners are both so incredible. Tyler Joseph is an immensely talented man.

Jaden Smith released an electric stripped back EP featuring several tracks from his album SYRE. If you have been reading these posts for a while you will know that in November I couldn't get enough of that album and so the fact they have been revisited is everything to me! It's also no surprise that Ninety is my favourite on this EP.

At the end of June Drake dropped his album Scorpion. If you knew me in 2014 you would know that Nicki Minaj's Boss Ass Bitch performance was my favourite thing and so the fact that he remixed it and gave it a new take in That's How You Feel had me literally gasping.

Pale Waves have also been releasing more singles in the lead up to their album which is due to be released in August. The song Noises hit me awfully hard, I don't think I've fully related to a song and its lyrics in that way for a long while.

I never really got on the Charlie XCX hype but her song 5 In The Morning has been over played to say the least this month. It's like the modern version of No Scrubs.

Maisie Peter's single Worst Of You is wonderful, as expected from her.

Though I have followed Ella Grace Denton on social media for years I never listened to any of her music but the single Run is one of the most beautiful and calming songs. I have been listening to it on my cycles into the city and it has been leaving me feeling so inspired.

Zayn released his newest single Sour Diesel and it's a big fat vibe to be honest. The lyrics are fab, the music is wonderful and I am so excited for the rest of his new stuff because if it is anything like this then it is surely going to be insane.

I have been on an Emma Chamberlian binge session for most of the month, I literally can't stop watching her (please send me to rehab this is becoming a problem) and she does these little segments in her videos where she just blasts the music she's been loving. She seems to have the same kind of music taste as me which is great because it means I find a heap of tunes through her. This is how I came across the track Chinese New Year by SALES. I loved it and it instantly found a home in my playlist.

The 1975's new track Love It If We Made It has become my new go to summer track. This is getting blasted everywhere and anywhere and I think everyone's getting a bit sick of it but bloody hell this track is too good to not blast.

OLDIES BUT GOLDIES 

Remember that Gym Class Heroes song Cupids Chokehold/Breakfast in America? Yeah, that made it's way into my playlist and my host family and I have been dancing round the kitchen to it in the evenings.

Every now and then I remember how wonderful Matt Corby is and how important the song Runaway has been to me over the past few years. If I'm having a hard time or feeling remotely anxious this will be put on to stop me from completely breaking.

Taylor Swift is the most wonderful woman in the world in my eyes and every now and then I am reminded of how much of a lyrical genius she is. Clean, You Are In Love and Delicate are the songs that have been on repeat while I've been up at three am overthinking life this past month.

Someone on my Instagram stories asked me what my favourite The 1975 song is and it's like you guys don't even know me!! 102 will always be my favourite by Matty himself, however as I mentioned in my reply I adore Antichrist, Me, You, fallingforyou, and A Change Of Heart which I have been listening to lots lately in anticipation of the new album.

Elysium by Bears Den will always be one of my favourite music videos to exist and will forever inspire me to live and to create. I love their sound, it has always been one of the most calming things for me. As well as Elysium I have also been listening to A Year Ago Today and Think of England.

Remember in 2014 when The Fault in Our Stars was released and everyone used to cry over Tee Shirt by Birdy (or was that just me)? Yeah, I was reminded of that time period and rediscovered my love for how pure and wonderful that song is.

I'm back on my nothing,nowhere. bullshit and have been listening to I'm Sorry I'm Trying and Ruiner so much. There's something about their music that makes me feel so safe and sane, and in the stress of everything that is going on for me at the moment that is just what I need.

Here's both of the playlists that I have been building throughout the month:


Post a Comment

© Megan Clare. Design by FCD.