Procrastination As A Blogger

January 07, 2018



I think everyone has been guilty of procrastinating things at some point or another (whether or not they were important is another story but we are for sure all guilty of this) which is why it comes as no surprise that my biggest blogging resolution this year was to limit my procrastination time. That being said, I did come up with that resolution while procrastinating writing a blog post for today so I guess it can be somewhat useful.

When it comes to blogging procrastination can be pretty detrimental to your success due to the fact that more often than not you are the only one who is running this blog and the success of the content is all down to you. It is so easy to sit there following and liking peoples photos on Instagram and claiming you are getting your name out there or retweeting tweets instead of actually writing your own. You eventually begin to dig yourself into this mindset of 'if I tell myself that this is work enough times then maybe I will begin to believe it' but this mindset doesn't achieve anything other than making you feel guilty for the lack of work that you have done for that day.

This year I am setting myself the goal of uploading a minimum of four blog posts a week, meaning at the end of the year there should have been around 200 posts uploaded from me. I decided this as a way of tackling my procrastination because if I have such a large goal and something that I really do want to achieve then I am going to be so much more likely to stop putting my work off.

The one thing I do always forget though is that I am allowed days off and times where I don't do any work for my blog, I tend to try to keep things set to me working on week days and allowing myself to have weekend days off of working. This works perfectly for me within my lifestyle and routine of being an au pair due to the fact I am able to work while the kids are at school and take a break once they are back and then finalise things in the evening. It ensures that I get everything I need to do done everyday which is so helpful.

Often I will find myself writing a little to do list in a notebook I keep by my bedside full of things I need to do the following day whether it be for my blog or general life. It helps me to have a plan the next day and also then put into place what actually needs to be done and what I am convincing myself needs to be done - us millennials seem to be obsessed with being busy (a blogger I have been loving recently called Beth wrote a piece about this which I will link here) and it only seems to lead to my procrastination more than anything. If I have a simple list of things I actually need to do then I am so much more likely to achieve at least 2/3 of it all which is a massive difference to me putting everything off and binging Netflix all day.

2018 is going to be the year of me refusing to reach the level of procrastinating my procrastinating by procrastinating and actually smashing through this workload that I have decided it was so necessary to set myself. If you guy have any tips on working on avoiding procrastination and getting things done then feel free to share them with me, my to do lists and I will appreciate them a whole lot!

Post a Comment

© Megan Clare. Design by FCD.