Films I've Fallen In Love With

March 12, 2018





Recently I have been encouraging myself to watch a lot more films and generally broaden my knowledge of cinema, with so many film student friends this is something that was always going to happen but seemed to take ages to actually happen. I thought I would put together a list of films that I have fallen in love with since the new year to encourage you guys to watch them too.



Lady Bird was one of the first films that I watched this year, sparking my love for Timothée Chalamet. This is one of those films that you don't realise you need in your life until you have it, and then you just want it to be your secret and nobody else to know about it but you also want to shout about it from the rooftops. The soundtrack is wonderful, the acting is beautiful and the plot hurt my heart, nothing makes me cry more than the closing scene of the film.

It follows an incredibly hard mother-daughter relationship which takes place throughout the protagonist, Lady Bird's, final year of school. She is battling her mother to prove the person she can be while also attempting to work out who she is as a person, there is something so beautiful and pure about this film, I cannot rave about it enough.



Call Me By Your Name ripped my heart out, stampeded over it and then handed it back to me in a bigger mess than I ever thought it could be. This is a film about first love and the summers that should last longer than they really do, based on the novel of the same name which I soon after read and sobbed over all over again. It's another film starring Timothée Chalamet (bu now you can probably tell that I really love him) but this time he plays the lead role of Elio.

I just remember texting my friend as soon as I had finished it insisting that she had to see it, telling her that it changed my view on life. Again, it is another film where the final scenes succeed at ripping my heart out but this time because I remembered the feeling of a first heartbreak and somehow re-lived it all through Elio. The film captures the book perfectly, the way that everything is so pure and almost follows the plot to a tee instead of being heavily edited for the screen is something that is so rare in movie adaptations but this just worked. Call Me By Your Name is unforgettable and beautiful and I will forever call this one of my favourite films (it also just won the Oscar for best picture so that's another reason to watch it).



Baby Driver is the one film that I had been putting off watching for so long, I was scared I wouldn't like it in the way that my friends did and that if I didn't I would somehow be letting them down. That being said, I loved it! A friend of mine always used to tell me how important sound was within a film and how you can watch almost watch a movie and see a different story through the sound, this film proved that to me due to how heavily dependant upon the soundtrack it was. If you want a cool film to watch that isn't as heavy as the other two, or perhaps just don't want your heart ripped out then this is the one for you!



Spike Island was a film that I watched after being pestered by my friend to do so for about a week, it's based in Manchester in the 90's and is such a good film. Starring two members of the Mad Fat Diary cast it almost felt like I was watching some form of spin off of the show which was kind of strange but also helped me fall in love with it too. You follow a band on their attempt to get to see The Stone Roses live at Spike Island and the desperate measures that they will go to in order to get into the concert.

This is also another film that is carried by the soundtrack, which is kind of a given fact considering that it is based around The Stone Roses and a bands love for them. Everything about this film is wonderful and I love it a lot. It will for sure be one of those that I come back to over and over and fall in love with new aspects of each and every time.



Carrie Pilby was a strange film but also a wonderful one. My friend text me and told me to watch it after she realised how much I reminded her of the protagonist, Carrie Pilby, which lead me to want to see how much of a mess this character must be for her to have reminded my friend of me. I loved this film and though it was a little strange at times it was just one of those ones that leaves your heart feeling warm and happy as the credits began to roll in. Also, to those of you who watched M.I. High as a kid, yes the actress did play Daisy in the show (just to spare you the stress of wondering where the hell you had seen her face before).

Post a Comment

© Megan Clare. Design by FCD.