My Top 10 Films

September 22, 2017



There’s nothing better than curling up in bed or on your sofa with a good film and a range of snacks, I thought I would give you guys a list of films that I have loved for years and speak about why I love them. To  begin with I tried to make it a list of five, but it turns out I love a lot more films and have ended up with ten so enjoy reading them and be sure to send me any film recommendations that you may have.

Stuck in Love is my go to comfort film, partially because it has Nat Wolff in, partially because it has Lily Collins in, but mainly because of how wonderful the plot and soundtrack are. It follows three separate members of a families love stories; one of the father who is still very much in love with his ex wife; one of the daughter who is cynical about almost everything, but even more so about love; and the last about the son who is experiencing love for the first time. I love this movie, when I first discovered it I sat and watched it three times in one sitting because of how much it made a home in me.

If you know me, you will know the special place I hold in my heart for Amy Winehouse, which is why Amy is on my list. This is a documentary movie which follows the rise and fall of Amy Winehouse's life. It reinforces the fact that Amy was just a wonderfully talented London girl who didn't know how to deal with the life that she had ended up living. 

Beauty and The Beast  was always a favourite growing up, whenever I had sick days off school I would curl up on the sofa with my mum and watch the VHS tape of it with her. Obviously, times have changed and nobody seems to use VHS players anymore, so my copy of the film became a DVD version but this hasn't changed how much I love it; I will always have fond memories of watching this with my mum.

My love for Harry Potter will forever be one of the biggest things in my life, I even have a massive Dobby poster in my bedroom. I force everyone and anyone to watch the series with me and even if they claim they don't like it I will make them start to like it. My favourite from the series is The Half Blood Prince which a lot of people find strange as it isn't the strongest stand alone film but personally I feel it is a wonderful film that works perfectly within the series. Although it doesn't do the book the full justice it works well, shows character development in both Draco and Snape and also features one of the most heartbreaking deaths in the film series (aside from Dobby and Fred).

The chick flick of all chick flicks is Clueless, the funniest cult classic that I will ever watch. The screenplay is phenomenal, the fashion is incredible and the general aesthetic of the film is something that makes me love it all so much. It’s also a loose overlap of Jane Austen’s Emma which for the English student in me makes it even more appealing, though this is much more relatable for a modern audience than Austen’s novel would be these days.

David Levithan is one of my absolute favourite authors and the film adaptation of his collaboration with Rachel Cohn, Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist, never fails to disappoint. The film is set over the course of one night and follows Nick’s attempt to get over his self obsessed ex girlfriend as he meets Norah, I won't spoil the plot but it has a happy ending. As well as a wonderful plot and screenplay the soundtrack is wonderful, perfectly setting the mood for the scenes and holding a place in my iTunes library.

My Girl is another old film that I used to adore and have recently rekindled my love for due to the fact that Netflix have finally added it to their ever growing library of films. It is about first love, growing up and the strange relationship with death that the lead protagonist Vada holds due to her fathers profession of running a funeral house. Keep some tissues at hand for this one, it’s a real tear jerker.

This wouldn't be a post about films if I didn't mention Angus, Thongs, and Perfect Snogging. This was gifted to me when I was 10 and I genuinely live by it. The music is brilliant (why aren't the Stiff Dylans a real band???) and I can no longer listen to Scouting for Girls without imagining Georgia Nicolson running through the streets of Eastbourne in an olive costume. Not to mention the fact that it has literally ruined every single one of my expectations of love. All I want is to fall in love with a boy from London who works at an organic vegetable shop and have him fuck up then write me a song and perform it at my birthday party and make everything better - don't go acting shocked, I said it ruined my expectations on love. I can't wait for the day that I have a teenage daughter and can show her this film, hopefully it will be as influential to her as it was to me growing up.


Lastly, we have If I Stay. As problematic as Chloë Moretz has been, I love Jamie Blackley with my whole heart and the photo of him with Matty Healy resurrected me from the dead when he posted it; he is the perfect Adam, he is the reason I love the film as much as I do. Another film with a band that I wish was real with a fictional frontman that I love more than most real people. Give it a watch if you haven't already, it will be sure to make you cry.

Post a Comment

© Megan Clare. Design by FCD.