This Years Reading Goals

March 26, 2019



At the beginning of every year I set myself a number of books that I want to have ready by the end of the year, and to say I have been slacking on my goal of 24 is an understatement in itself. So, I re-downloaded the good reads app and forced myself to pick up some books that I would read. I'm finally three books into the challenge and have found myself forgetting why I ever stopped reading in the first place.


While I usually reach for Young Adult reading I have rekindled my adoration for memoirs through Beautiful Boy by David Sheff. The heartbreaking tale of his sons addiction to crystal meth and the disastrous aftermath of the way his actions affected his family. I was initially inspired to read it due to the fact Timothee Chalamet stars in the movie adaptation of this, and me being me had to read the book first.

Currently I am reaching the end of Tweak by Nic Sheff, the son of David Sheff and the person who Beautiful Boy is about. This is his recount of his relationship with drugs and in my opinion is a much heavier read as you learn the depth of everything he experienced while using and being placed into numerous treatment centres.

Neither of these two books are to be taken lightly and if you are triggered by drugs or addiction in any way shape or form please go about these books carefully!


Then we have the books I am yet to read but am so excited to get my teeth into!

If you have been following me for a while you will know just know much I adore David Levithan's writing, he was such a massive influence on me as a young teen and even such a vast majority of my favourite films are screen adaptations of his writing. My favourite series of his is without a doubt the one that came from Everyday which I instantly fell in love with, while in Waterstones with my friend Em I discovered he had released a third book in this universe titled Someday which I grabbed instantly and lead me to break my rule of 'I'm only buying one book today'.

Finally, Savannah Brown's novel arrived on my doorstep and after hearing so many amazing things about it I am incredibly excited to pick it up and find myself lost in her words. I guess the biggest struggle will be for me to pick which book to read next!


Post a Comment

© Megan Clare. Design by FCD.