Music Monthly: January

January 31, 2021


Well well well, would you look who the cat dragged in. I'm back; and as much as I would like to claim better than ever, it's likely not fully true. I've spent the past year writing and editing for Blossom Zine, a small online music publication which focuses on giving smaller, up and coming artists a platform. Last week however we begun a three month hiatus and I have been left with the constant need to be writing and creating something about the music that I love. 

I guess this is where this blog comes in handy, I can writing about what I love and my music monthly series always seemed to be the posts that got the most interaction so I am hugely excited to be bringing it back. For those of you that are new here, this is a series that I tend to release at the end of every calendar month speaking about my favourite releases throughout that month. You'll soon learn that I have yet to grow out of my emo 'phase' but still manage to have an immensely diverse music taste and a genuine passion for everything that I share.

These posts are split into two sections; new finds, and golden oldies. A great combination of the two, sometimes one section is more full than the other but there is always something great in there for everyone. So, without further ado, welcome back to Music Monthly!


NEW FINDS

It's safe to say that everyone and their mum has heard of it but Drivers License by Olivia Rodrigo. The nostalgic breakup track has made history this year being one of the most streamed songs ever and it's no wonder why. Thanks to social media, and TikTok in-particular, everyone has been sharing their love for this track which the High School Musical The Musical The Series alumni penned. It would be a lie if I said I haven't cried to this with a glass of wine in hand, but I'm sure that I'm not alone there... right?

The second single that Pale Waves have released in the lead up to the release of their new album titled Who Am I? has dropped accompanied by a powerful music video. Playing homage to early 2000's Avril Lavigne this track is further showing that the band have changed since their 2018 album.

Another discovery that came thanks to my TikTok for you page, Dempsey Hope and his album titled The Dempsey Hope Project. Reminding me of a the likes of lauv, gnash, and EDEN, this release from October last year shows immense amounts of promise for the debut from Dempsey Hope. Favourite tracks include elephant in the room (feat. gnash), time flies and three years.

You Me At Six have always been a safe bet; a band that you know will have a song for any feeling or any mood and won't let you down in their music. This month the emo rockers came back to the scene with their newest album, SUCKAPUNCH, a sign that the band are heading down a darker path while managing to modernise their sound throughout. For a seventh album the band know what they are doing and how to do it but they haven't stuck to the same tracks and same stylings. There is a true sense of development and playing homage to their roots. My favourite tracks are without a doubt WYDRN, Glasgow, and Voicenotes.

A perfect track for long Sunday mornings, the amazingly talented Rachel Honza has released her single Long Sleeves which is beyond beautiful. The track is a nostalgic look back on a past relationship 'I don't feel sad that you're gone yet, might be in denial' is one of the many lyrics that so beautifully encapsulate the feeling of loss. Rachel is without a doubt one to watch, I am beyond excited for her future releases.

Originally shared on her socials as an acoustic track Maude Latour believed that she could make her track One More Weekend something more, something that stimulated your earbuds beyond belief from the first listen. Upbeat and fun, this track explores the idea of wanting just one more weekend with the person that you are leaving/have left.  


GOLDEN OLDIES

Rediscovering my love for QuinnXCII has definitely been one of the highlights of this month for me. His track Circles used to be one of my go to tracks for background music while I was working on blog posts, and so when I dove back into him if gave me this amazing sense of nostalgia and productivity. iI have also been loving the tracks Stacy and Good Thing Go.

I don't believe a single day has gone by since I discovered Frankie Stew and Harvey Gunn last summer where I haven't listened to them at least once, especially Fabric. This is a track laced with nostalgia and beautiful lyrics, in the words of the great Marie Kondo it brings joy. 

It may have been months since Taylor Swift surprised the world with the release of Folklore but this and Evermore have still found their way into my life this month. With the winter weather, and snow, these albums seem like the perfect thing to listen to in the evenings on my commute back from the office. Miss Swift really has outdone herself with these works of art and my fingers are tightly crossed that the rumour of a third album in this saga are much more than a rumour. This month's favourites are willow - lonely witch version, august, illicit affairs, long story short, and closure

If you have been reading my blog for a while, you'll know that I have always had a soft spot for Maisie Peters and her songs. During lockdown I have tried to remind myself that this will pass and that it is so important to reach out for help when struggling, which is where her track Take Care Of Yourself has come into play. It has become a constant mantra within my daily life, a reminder that better times will come but I need to put myself first, but it's not weak if I occasionally need a bit of a helping hand while doing so.


LISTEN TO THIS MONTHS PLAYLIST BELOW:


Post a Comment

© Megan Clare. Design by FCD.