Music Monthly - September

October 01, 2021


Well, hello, happy end of September. It feels as though this past month has completely flown by! There's no denying that the end of August seems to be one of the best months every year when it comes to new releases, and this year has not disappointed, which means that September has been filled with me getting fully into these new tracks. 

For those of you that are new to Music Monthly heres the run down: at the end of every month I compline a whole load of music that I have been loving. Some tracks are new finds or releases, while others are ones that I have enjoyed for a while. I talk about why I have enjoyed them and share the playlist at the end for you to enjoy and find some new tunes too.

Without further ado, lets get into it as this is likely to be a long one!


NEW FINDS


Maisie Peters is someone that older readers of these posts will know I have always shouted about the talent of. Her debut album You Signed Up For This dropped at the end of August and it is one of those that you honestly wouldn't even realise as a debut if you didn't know. Freshly signed to Gingerbread Records, Ed Sheeran's label, this Sussex raised gem is sure to be the talk of the music scene for years to come. Stand out songs include You Signed Up For This, Villain, Outdoor Pool.


Brother and sister duo Lawrence have released an acoustic version of their track Don't Lose Sight on their YouTube channel and I am telling you the vocals in this had me mesmerised. I spent a solid hour with it on repeat, if you've got a spare few minutes you can watch/listen to it here.


Country music angel Kacey Musgraves has released the break up album of the year (or at least it is in my eyes). Star-Crossed comes in the wake of her divorce and, oh boy, these lyrics are heard hitting and beautiful. The line 'healing doesn't happen in a straight line' from track Justified has become a fan favourite, showing just how much Musgraves has been through since the release of her 2018 album Golden Hour. Stand our songs include good wife, justified, and the heartbreaking camera roll.


Although a cover the Phoebe Bridgers version of the John Prine track Summer's End has had me right in my feelings this month. I've never really listened to Phoebe's music but this cover has the feeling of simultaneously ripping your heart out while also receiving a warm hug. I literally can't explain it, but I love it.


Marvel movies are my guilty pleasure and alongside with the release of Shang Chi we were also blessed with an absolutely incredible movie soundtrack. The standout from it for me was Anderson .Paak's track Fire In The Sky which is stunning. 


If there's one thing that Spotify is good for it's their Discover Weekly playlists. This is where I found Sody and her song What We Had which pulled me into basicallt wanting to listen to everything that the woman as ever written or been involved with. The collab she has with foster and sarcastic sounds titled fools which is a remix of the Elvis Presley classic Can't Help Falling in Love.


Nessa Barrett is honesty someone that I had never ever heard of until the teaser sound for her song i hope ur miserable until ur dead came and invaded my TikTok for you page. The catchy chorus and angsty lyrics drew me in and actually caused me to even want to pre-save this which is something that I honestly never thought I would be doing. 


Indie artist Rachel Honza has released a remix of one of my favourite songs of hers. Describing it to me as 'a new mix of Long Sleeves. It's a song that [she] knows a lot of people connected with and [she's] hoping to more people get to hear it and love it. long sleeves - t-shirt mix is wonderful and the guitar breakdown in it is honestly just one massive chefs kiss.


Let's talk about If I Can't Have Love Then I Want Power, Halsey's latest album which took the world by surprise. Accompanied with a feature length movie this album is electrifying, possibly her best yet. Known for her lyricism and the worlds that she creates within her albums this is filled with passion and rage while still keeping with what she is known best for. Stand out tracks are Ya'aburnee,  A Girl Is A Gun, Darling, and Honey.



OLDIES BUT GOLDIES


This month was my return to live music in which I saw The Maine open for All Time Low, it felt almost fitting as The Maine were one of the last bands that I saw live back in March 2020 before the COVID lockdowns came into place. Hearing Am I Pretty? and Black Butterflies and Deja Vu live again was a highlight for sure.


Lorde's track Supercut has always had some form of hold on me, there's just something about it. It's one of those tracks that you can literally listen to in any mood. Crying in the shower? Supercut. Feeling like the main character? Supercut. Just woken up? Supercut. There's literally nothing that song can't convey.


An album that I can listen to when nothing else seems to feel right or fit my mood is Modern Vampires of The City by Vampire Weekend. From the get go it makes me feel at peace and much lighter, it's amazing how music can have that kind of power. Highly recommend listening to this wrapped up in an oversized hoodie while it's raining outside, a 10/10 experience.\


When I was about 18 I went through a phase where I honestly must have listened to Jessie Reyez solidly for about a good month. When going through some old playlists I found her track FIGURES which is still as incredible now as it was to me then. 




Listen to these songs and more in the playlist below:

Post a Comment

© Megan Clare. Design by FCD.