This Months Reads: January

January 14, 2018




As we approach the middle of January I thought I would share with you guys the books that I am reading and have read this month as part of my 2018 reading challenge via goodreads which is a site that I have been really getting into using recently. It is perfect for helping track your reading process as well as discovering other book suggestions and seeing what your friends are reading and their progress too! If you guys want to keep up with my reading progress and see more about the books I am loving then be sure to follow me over on there https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/74932034-megan-bennett.




The first book I've read is This Modern Love by Will Darbyshire, this was probably my fifth time sitting down and reading it from cover to cover and it never loses its magic. There are some pages that will always succeed at ripping my heart out and I cannot explain how incredible and honest this book is, it really is one of the most wonderful portrayals of love in the modern age. If you still haven't read this then it is one that I wholeheartedly recommend to you whatever your age or current relationship status, just keep some tissues at hand for when you get to the breakup section because that is a goddamn tearjerker.







Secondly, I tore through Here I Am by Jonathan Safran Foer which my step dad got me for Christmas (he always seems to have a talent for picking out some of the most wonderful books for me to read). This story follows a Jewish family and is one of truth and pain that explores the ideas of home, family and religion over the course of a period of four weeks. I cannot sing this books praises enough, while it is heart wrenching and had me sobbing by the ending it is also hilarious and beautiful and so vital. Despite people either loving or hating Foer's work I am one of those who has fallen in love with it and intend to read more of his novels over the course of this year.






Currently I'm reading Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro which is set in a 'darkly skewed version of contemporary England' and I am really loving it. At this point I am about halfway through and it is one of those books that leaves you asking questions and then once answering that question leaves you with another, it is so gripping. The portrayal of childhood innocence being looked back on in the nostalgic context of adulthood is something that is really unique in quite a few ways and I have never read anything like this before. My love of dystopian fiction is definitely what drew me to this, as well as a suggestion from my all time favourite English teacher a couple of years ago while I was doing research on dystopian fiction for my coursework in my A Level.






The last book that I have planned for this month is Alex and Eliza. If you have followed me on Twitter for a few years then you will recall my Hamilton 'phase' which wasn't really a phase, I just don't tweet about it that much anymore despite still completely adoring it. Anyway, this book is based off of the relationship of Alexander and Eliza and from what I can gather it explores all of the non fiction elements but places them in a kind of fictional world to appeal to the young adult genre. I am really excited to get into this as I have read nothing but positive reviews.




If you guys have any book recommendations for me then please let me know in the comments or send me a tweet (@meganciare) because I always appreciate them! Also if you've read any of these then leave me a comment and we can have a chat about what you thought.

Post a Comment

© Megan Clare. Design by FCD.