Long Distance

August 09, 2015

Having parents who live a good two hours away from eachother has gotten me used to the idea of long distance and how to cope with missing people that you can only really see via facetime or talk to through texting. There are people that I have lost touch with during the transition from living at my mums to living at my dads and there are people that I still talk to, it can be hard at times because each of us have our own lives. We have our own friends and plans, we have exams and homework, we have jobs and everything else. These things can get in the way, but when you really are friends with people these things shouldn't matter.

Recently I went to see a friend that I hadn't seen for around five years and as soon as I stepped into her house I felt at home, sitting at her dinner table with two of my other friends felt completely natural. We caught up on life and had a wonderful time, personally it's moments like that which help to remind me that while distance may be an obstacle it is one that once broken feels as though you have always been with the person.

But for me, my long distance doesn't just work with my parents and the friendships that I have in both places but internet friendships too. My best friend and I live 250 miles away from eachother, over halfway across the country. We have never 'met' and yet I feel as though she is one of my closest friends, for people that haven't experienced this before it can be difficult to understand but when you have a friendship as strong as ours it doesn't matter that we live so far away. We make it work, and we have been doing so for almost a year now.

Of course, dealing with the distance can be hard and there are times when all you want is to be able to curl up and watch your favourite film with a tub of ice cream and your best friend. But for many people this is extremely hard, having someone far away that you are unable to be with physically is difficult in this sense. And it is at this point that you have to remember that you have other friends, ones who are always there for you, ones who are just as wonderful as these people that are far away.

The one thing that keeps you going and the one thing that doesn't quite compare to anything else is the feeling when you get to hug the one person who you have been desperate to see. That feeling is so indescribable and wonderful.


google-site-verification: google8c1c841207f871c8.html

Post a Comment

© Megan Clare. Design by FCD.