Music Monthly April

May 09, 2019



Music monthly isn't dead (yet) and neither is my blog (yet), I have however been thinking a lot about the type of content that I want to put into the world. After realising how much of a passion I have for writing about the things I love music and photography will be taking a centre stage on this blog in the coming months. For this reason music monthly will still exist, it's the only thing I have really kept a passion for within this blog since starting the series almost two years ago and I am beginning to realise that this even shows through my posts. Because of this there will be a lot more music based content coming out within the next few months, think festival line ups, concert shoots, album reviews, you name it I'm going to give it a go.

With all of that out the way, I can begin my round up of the past month of music for me. April came with the release of many new albums from some of my favourite artists, it was also the month of sun and travelling which was definitely reflected in the music that I was listening to throughout the month. You can find the playlist of some of my go to songs from the month at the end of the post, I've done all the work for you all you have to do is press play!

New Gems


You know that song that you find that you didn't really realise you needed until you hear it, and once you've heard it it feels as though someone genuinely understands you? I found that in Ready Now by Dodie. This lady has always been the one to create songs that remind me of cosy sweaters and long important talks with loved ones and, to me, this song is no different. The lyrics hit home and really left me in an almost nostalgic trance after it ended. I found myself thinking over my own personal experiences and then even more so where I am today and the people that have helped me to reach this point in my life.

Kevin Abstract released several EP's and then a bloody full length album titled ARIZONA BABY in the space of a month which was pretty incredible. This man really doesn't stop. He is constantly creating something, whether for BROCKHAMPTON or his own personal projects, and his music is just so lyrically wonderful and truthful. There were certainly lot of the lyrics which resonated with me in a way I didn't really expect them to and between this album and Loyle Carner's latest release I have been listening non stop. I am in love with Peach and Corpus Christi which are both incredible.

Seeing as I just mentioned him it's probably time for me to talk about Loyle Carner's newest album Not Waving, But Drowning which is one of the most beautiful albums. When it was released my friend described it as a hug in an album and I don't think I can explain it better really, this album is the calmest and most wonderful thing. One of the most incredible things about it is that the opening track, Dear Jean, is a spoken word letter to his mother speaking about his relationship with her. The album to then closes with Dear Ben which is a spoken word letter to him from his mother which always makes me well up a little. The relationship between them is so wholesome and beautiful and the narrative of it throughout the entire album is something that really just made it that more special to me. If you need recommendations rom the album to listen to then Krispy, Desoleil (Brilliant Corners) and Ottolenghi  are the ones that I have been completely infatuated with lately. To say I am excited to see him live a Love Box later in the year is an understatement in itself.

It's been a while since Maisie Peter's pretty voice graced this series but her song Favourite Ex was far too beautiful not to give a mention. This little lady has a tonne of talent and deserves so much more recognition than she actually gets.

When I was flying to Amsterdam at the beginning to of the month I remembered how much calming music used to make me to feel a lot safer on flights, last year Vance Joy would often be the soundtrack to them but I tried to change it up this time. For this reason I found myself listening to The Wonder Years' acoustic album a lot. The song You In January was one of the ones that really helped me to maintain a calm composure.

My friend Em always comes through with the amazing film recommendations and her latest one of Something Great on Netflix came with such a good soundtrack. The song Truth Hurts by Lizzo has been my go to feel good track this past month despite my boyfriends very confused reaction when I stole the aux cord just to blast this.


Oldies But Gold(ies)


You know that one song that just reminds you of a person and no matter when or where you listen to it you find yourself thinking about them? The Girls A Straight Up Hustler by All Time Low is one of those songs. It will always remind me of my friend Emmeline because her brand is literally that strong.

I seem to have one song a month that generally summarises my month or I wake up with it stuck in my head for literally no reason at all. After a good year of not even listening to Nina Nesbitt's debut album I have for some reason been stuck being obsessed with Tough Luck which is the strangest thing but it really did summarise my month of travelling.

This month I saw my favourite Welsh band Neck Deep live for the first time and to say it was emotional would be nothing of an understatement. The gig was as incredible as I expected and I even bumped into the lovely Dottie James who is one of my biggest writing inspirations. After waiting for years to hear What Did You Expect and December live it almost felt like a healing situation, I found closure in those two songs throughout difficult periods of my life and to hear them live was as though I was putting the situations to bed finally.

Every now and then I get really bloody nostalgic and the only band that seem to help is Speak Low If You Speak Love and their song Naive. The opening line 'you ruined all my favourite bands because every time I sing along I always see your hands' is the most emo lyric and it quite frankly makes me feel things. This is a really chilled, peaceful, acoustic song which is the best for sitting on the beach while listening to, trust me the waves in the background just make it better if that was even possible.

Lemonade has finally appeared on Spotify meaning I have listened to rather a lot of Beyoncé this month too. I remember when this album came out I dropped my money on it as though it was nothing and I don't regret a single thing because it was both a musical and cinematic masterpiece - I swear only Beyoncé would drop an album with a full length movie like it was nothing.


And that is it, I'll be back in a couple of weeks with May's round up but until then enjoy April's playlist my loves.

Post a Comment

© Megan Clare. Design by FCD.