Albums of The Year | Blogmas Day 18

December 18, 2017



This year has been filled with so much good music and I thought I would take the time to reflect on the albums that are in my opinion the best to have come out of this year.



TELL ME YOU LOVE ME - DEMI LOVATO





I don't think I have really spoken about this much but I genuinely think this is Demi's best work yet, she has well and truly found the sound that she was progressing towards when she released Confident and it is so sexy and empowering. Having grown up listening to her music it has been such a cool experience realising that she has been growing with every album too, each one is more personal and powerful than the next and I love it.

Fave tracks include Daddy Issues and Ruin The Friendship.





PLACES - LEA MICHELE





My love for Lea, like most people's derives from the Glee days (which were much simpler days for us all). Her vocal ability is something that is unlike anything I have ever discovered and this album seems to prove to us that she is still as talented as ever. The lyrics are all very much romance based and it makes me so happy to realise that she has found happiness after the tragedy of her losing Cory.


Fave tracks include Proud and Hey You.






ABOUT U - MUNA  





I've loved this lovely girl group for most of the year and apparently so did Harry Styles considering he asked them on tour with him! This is some of the most beautiful and haunting music and gives me serious The Japanese House vibes.


Fave Tracks include Crying On The Bathroom Floor and About U.





THE PEACE AND THE PANIC - NECK DEEP 

 



While I have already spoken about this album in my August Music MonthlyI love supporting British bands and watching them succeed. Their lyrics in this album are so real and hard hitting considering two of the members lost their fathers in the process of making the album as well as losing a few of their good friends. Neck Deep turned their pain and grief into something wonderful and for that I will always be grateful.
 Faves tracks include In Bloom, Wish You Were Here, and 19 Seventy Sumthin’.


THE THRILL OF IT ALL - SAM SMITH  





Can someone please explain to me why every album I have loved seems to have a monochromatic style cover?? I don't know either. Sam Smith's new album is nothing short of phenomenal and if he doesn't win all the Grammys possible for it then I will be immensely disappointed to say the least.


Fave tracks include Midnight Train, Pray, and Scars.




CTRL - SZA  



Boy this is a very talented woman and has had an incredible year and has been nominated for numerous Grammys in the wake of this album. The entire concept of it is beautiful, featuring her music as well as voice notes/audio from a phone call with her mum you really feel as though you are feeling the pain she sings about.  Filled with empowering lyrics, incredible collaborations and strong as hell vocals this is an album I will listen to in the hopes of making my Monday mornings better.

Fave tracks include Love Galore, Drew Barrymore, Prom and 20 Something.



WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THE CAR - DECLAN MCKENNA 




I can genuinely feel my friend Em's pride about the fact all her shouting at me to listen to Declan worked and that he is now featured on my favourite albums of the year. His music is so chilled and the lyrics are so fab and have such cool meanings behind them that you just can't help but love him and his tunes. This lanky, socially awkward lad has made a proper good album here. 

Fave tracks include Paracetamol and Listen To Your Friends.




CALIFORNIA (DELUXE) - BLINK 182 


Though this was technically released as a normal album in summer 2016 Blink then released the deluxe edition this year which is complete with a whole new disks worth of tracks. Yes, I love old Blink and it can easily be argued they are dads trying to be cool but this album is awesome and the artwork is snazzy too.


Fave tracks include Hey I'm Sorry, Home Is Such A Lonely Place and Parking Lot.



HARRY STYLES - HARRY STYLES 



Easily the best album that has come out of any of the ex members of One Direction (yes, I will fight anyone who disagrees) this is full of absolute bangers. I adore this man and everything he stands for, he is so cool and charismatic and filled with passion for what he creates which really shows in his album. You can also watch a little documentary on his writing process of it on apple music which I think is an awesome personal touch!

Fave tracks include Kiwi, Ever Since New York and Two Ghosts.







Post a Comment

© Megan Clare. Design by FCD.