Self Care Is Just as Important | Blogmas Day 16

December 16, 2017




One of the biggest struggles of this season is how dreary it is, and how this often affects people and their mental health. I have seen numerous people tweeting about how down they are feeling with dark mornings and dark evenings, it seems like your whole life is being blanketed in darkness. This is something that I struggle with vast amounts, and so I thought I would put together a list of five things that I tend to do in order to maintain a balance of self care which is so important when feeling down.

1)     Wash your face or do a face mask. Maybe even just splash some water from a tap onto your face if you don’t want to or don’t feel up to doing the other two options. I always find that being fresh faced and feeling somewhat clean helps me to feel better.

2)     While you’re at it, give your teeth a brush. If you aren’t up to that then chew on some gum, this won’t be as hygienic as the other option but it will make you feel cleaner.

3)     Get yourself a warm drink and write a realistic to-do list. Work your way through the list throughout the day but also don’t beat yourself up if you are only able to manage to complete a small amount of the tasks. It’s okay to have days like this.

4)     If you are struggling to reply to people and, like me, end up with a build up of messages, emails and various other notifications then draft out a simple but important text. Saying something like ‘Hi, I’m not ignoring you, I’m just not completely up for conversations at the moment. I will reply as soon as I can’. It allows people to know that you aren’t ignoring them and also removes the daunting task of replying to messages you really can’t face at the moment.


5)    Contrasting to my last point, call a friend and try to talk through whats going on in your mind. Be as honest as you can with them, but also remember to ask how they are, how their day is going, anything along those lines really. Friendship is a two way street and your mental health shouldn’t make you selfish when it comes to their time.

Post a Comment

© Megan Clare. Design by FCD.