Music Monthly: April

April 30, 2018



It's been a good month, new music, sun and I'm even back in England for a little while as this goes live which is lovely. As always music monthly is here to share with you all the music that I have been listening to and enjoying this month. Grab yourself a drink, settle down and have a read of what has accidentally become a ridiculously long blog post full of music.



NEW FINDS


The lovely people at Hunger Moon got in touch with me at the beginning of the month to tell me about their new single, Oh Friend, and I completely fell in love with it. As soon as I heard it I text my best friend and insisted that she gave it a listen, that's now immediately in love with it I was. The song and band clearly have heavy influences from the likes of Oh Wonder and Daughter which shine through wonderfully, this song has been on almost every night while I'm curled up in bed with a book.

Sometimes I like to leave YouTube autoplay on in the background and let it give me lots of new music that way, this is how I found Weathers song The Night is Calling. This indie-rock band gives me The Vamps and Saint Raymond vibes and I love it so much, it is such a summer tune and it has been blasting in the mornings to get me pumped for the day.

Kasey Musgraves my country queen released her new album last month and one of my favourite songs on it is easily Space Cowboy. It embodies heartbreak and loneliness in such a beautiful way, I cannot stop listening to it.

Another lovely person that got in touch with me was Mollie Quirk to share her single Two Years with me and I bloody loved it! It was haunting and pretty and her vocals are wonderful. The lyrics in themselves are rather hard hitting for me and there was just something so comforting about this song that made me fall in love with it (wow lets all take a shot everything I say I love something about a song).

Taylor Swift collaborated with spotify and released her cover of September and it is so country/folk that my little heart cannot handle it, after everything she has released has been very pop based over the past year or so this was like the best gift she could have given me. Her voice is beautiful, the music is wonderful and I am just in love with it.

If you remember my last post I spoke about the lovely lad Felix Shepard and his single Always Been, well since then he has released an EP called Polar Points and I cannot get over it, singer songwriters will always be one of my biggest weaknesses and he just fits right into that slot.

I love RnB and rap so much, it reminds me of my childhood and dancing round the kitchen to Kanye and Alicia Keys with my step dad on Sunday afternoons which is why when Jordan Ceaser reached out to me and shared his newest album, Death To Reputation, I immediately knew it would hold a place in this post. My favourite song from it is probably Speed although it was super hard to pick just one.

The Wonder Years dropped their new album and it is wonderful to say the least, the stand out tracks in my opinion were Flowers Where Your Face Should Be and Pyramids of Salt.

I'm not sure how I found it but I found a lovely little tune called Breakfast In Bed by Ella Mai and it is so chill and lovely. It gives me SZA vibes and if you know me you will know that SZA is one of my all time favourite artists. If you want something chill and fun then give this a listen.

Every single person I follow on Twitter seemed to go to see The Wombats over the past month or so and every one of them immediately became The Night CafĂ© fans. I ended up giving them a listen because of this and oh my god they are such a good band and remind me of summer road trips with friends and beach nights. I love Mixed Signals and Addicted.

5 Seconds Of Summer released the title track for their album Youngblood this month and it's insane, it is so different to the band that I fell in love with five years ago and yet this is expected considering how much they must have matured since then. The lyrics hit me, the music is wonderful and Luke's vocals are hitting on my heartstrings and making me question whether I'm really still in Michael's lane.

I'm seeing one of my favourite American pop punk bands State Champs next month and to say that I am excited about it would be an understatement, in order to prepare myself for it I have been listening to them pretty much non stop. They released a new track, Dead and Gone, this month which is from their upcoming album which is released June 15th and it is insane! I have also been listening to Hurry Up and Wait as well as If I'm Lucky which both reminded me just why I love this band so much. If you haven't listened to them then you really should, they're insane and the loveliest people too!


Daniel Birkin released his debut track Colder Homes and it's hard to believe that this lad is only sixteen years old! Heavily influenced by Tyler, The Creator and James Blake this is a track and artist that I was bound to love, after all they are two of my favourite artists. He is full of talent and I am so excited to see where he goes with his musical career.

The weather took a dramatic turn for the best at the end of the month and my days were filled with summer tunes and copious iced coffees as I attempted to make the most of this weather while it lasted. Odette's tune Take It To The Heart gave me summer vibes and the kids I au pair were all dancing round the garden to this with me. Also give Collide a listen, it's another bloody great tune from her.

Matt Wills is back out here releasing even more bops, this time in the form of his track Blame. His songwriting is insane and the production of the tracks seems to get better each and every time - you cannot keep sleeping on this lad and his music.



OLDIES BUT GOLDIES

Guess who watched Call Me By Your Name four times this month??? (If you guessed me you're right) and guess who fell more and more in love with the soundtrack each time??? (if you guessed me again then you're a winner). The Sufjan Stevens song Mystery of Love has been hitting my right in the feels all week

Mumford and Sons are one of those bands that never fail to make me happy, for some reason I woke up the other day with the lyric 'it was not your fault but mine and I really fucked it up this time' in my head. I then proceeded to spend the whole day listening to their music and loving it as much as I used to, the songs that made it into this months playlist are Holland Road and Ghosts That We Knew.

Since discovering them I don't think a month has gone by where BROCKHAMPTON haven't been listened to excessively, it's literally got to the point that I was sad the other day and my friend literally snapchatted me telling me to shut up and listen to some happy BROCKHAMPTON. The song that I have been obsessed with is BREAKFAST and comes from their debut EP All American Trash which deserves as much recognition as the Saturation Trilogy.

Your Graduation and How Do I Tell A Girl I Want To Kiss Her are my favourite Modern Baseball songs and both have been on replay all month, they're too good not to listen to.

All the tracks on Zayn's album have such a summer quality to them and considering the weather has been insanely wonderful recently it only seems fitting for him to have found a place within my playlists that I created this month. iT's YoU and SHE DON'T LOVE ME are my go to faves from him at the moment.

Tigers Jaw are a band that I was actually lucky enough to shoot this month at their Amsterdam gig which was insane considering I have loved their music for so long now! Plane vs. Tank vs. Submarine made its way into my April playlist in anticipation for the gig as well as just out of my pure love for the song.








DISCLAIMER AND MESSAGE TO ARTISTS: This was the second month where I opened my inbox to submissions for music monthly and to say that it was inundated with messages would be nothing less of the truth, so while there is a lot of music that I love and discovered myself this month there is also a lot of music that has been sent to me! Watching music monthly grow from my little child into something much bigger that people actually want to be involved in over the past few months has been mad and I'm really enjoying it. If you have any music you want to send my way for May then feel free to drop me an email at wwanderstruck@gmail.com

Post a Comment

© Megan Clare. Design by FCD.