Music Monthly: June

June 27, 2018





So, June is over and we are officially halfway through the year which is such a crazy concept to me. The past few months seem to have flown by, and speaking of flying all these new albums that have been flying into the world recently are a godsend. I love this time of year in the music industry, everyone releases tunes in the hopes of becoming the summer soundtracks (to the point that literally three of my favourite bands released albums on the same day and it's safe to say it was the best day of the month).

Sometimes I wonder if summer music is really any good or we are just all so delirious from the heat that we just think it is. This month has proven to me that summer music is wonderful and I'm confident I'm not delirious from the heat considering we seemed to have left that behind in May.

Anyway, here's what I have been listening to.


NEW FINDS


The first 'emo' band that I ever fell in love with, Mayday Parade, released their latest album Sunnyland and it's safe to say they will always hold a place in my heart. After the heavy style of their previous album it feels as though they have gone back to their roots and created a much more Lesson In Romantics style album again, this was so worth the three year wait and I cannot recommend it enough. My favourite tracks on the album are easily Sunnyland and Looks Red, Tastes Blue.

Another of my favourite bands and my introduction to the pop punk music scene I so dearly love, 5 Seconds of Summer, also released a new album titled Youngblood. To say that this is a masterpiece is an understatement in itself, this new sound for them is what they needed, it finally feels as though they've stopped trying to be what everyone expected of them and have found what they want to be. It's more mature and generally a brilliantly written and produced work of art. My favourite tracks from it are Ghost of You and Why Won't You Love Me.

Tessa Violet dropped her new track Crush and as well as it being an incredible track it also has one of the strangest yet coolest music videos I've seen in a long time! 

Imagine a music monthly post where I'm not screaming over the talent that Mahalia has, it's not going to happen but was probably nice for you to imagine. Her sass, talent and charisma are everything and I will forever be obsessed with her music - all of which tie into her latest track I Wish I Missed My Ex. If you ever need a bit of female empowerment give her a listen, she will be sure to work wonders.

Jorja Smith also went and dropped her debut album Lost & Found and just wow. That woman. Her Mind. She really went and did that. Every single time I listen to it I fall in love with it all over again, finding new love for each song. Her voice is enchanting, she is incredibly talented and I love this album. Goodbyes, Blue Lights, and February 3rd are my favourites at the moment, though ask me in five minutes and they will probably have changed all over again.

I forgot Discover Weekly existed as a feature on Spotify and so once I had rediscovered this little feature I found that Spotify had created a banging playlist for me. It featured a track called Grandfather Clock by Thea which has been on repeat for such a long time as I write this post. It's a wonderful mixture of lowfi/chill/rap.

The 1975 are finally back and as much as I want to say they're better than ever I'm going to be honest and say their new track Give Yourself A Try took a while to grow on me. I think this is mainly because it is so hugely different from what I expected, even though none of us were too sure what to expect from the Music For Cars era. It's strange but I can't deny that it's now become one of my early morning tunes that blast while getting ready for my day, I am beyond excited to see what the rest of the album sounds like after this.

Demi Lovato released one of the most heartbreaking and personal songs any artist has released recently. The heart-wrenching piano ballad Sober explores her messy relationship with alcohol and drugs, explaining how she feels the pressures to be a role model, a good daughter and a good sister. It admits she relapsed, it portrays her as human and fragile.

Me??? Finding an excuse to yell about As It Is??? Again??? Yes.
They released their second single The Stigma (Boys Don't Cry) in the lead up to the release of their third album, The Great Depression, which is due to be released this August. This band is one of the most important bands in the pop punk scene at the moment, the movement they are creating (and have always tried to explore since their beginning) is so vital. I can't believe it's taken people three albums to begin to pay attention to As It Is, they deserve every ounce of success and respect they earn in the industry.

Despite everything With Confidence will forever hold a massive place in my heart, I miss their gigs and screaming along to words that mean so much to me. Their new album comes out in August and they released the first single from it titled That Something this month, safe to say I wasn't expecting it at all and may have called my best friend and cried for half an hour.

OLDIES BUT GOLDIES


Rex Orange County covered You've Got A Friend In Me this month which was pure gold and got me so excited to see him live later this year with one of my best friends. Corldoury Dreams also made its place into the playlist because it's a complete and utter summer bop. 

Drake's song Teenage Fever which is basically the grown up version of Marvin's Room found its way into my playlist and has been such a banger this month.

Tonight Alive will always be a band that I associate with heartbreak for personal reasons, but they are also a band I associate with growth and development. They remind me how far I have come as a person in what is realistically such a short period of time. You Don't Owe Me Anything, Amelia and The Other Side had me crying far too much as cancer season began this month.

Is Ribs the best song Lorde has ever created? There is only one answer to this question and that answer is yes.






 

Post a Comment

© Megan Clare. Design by FCD.