Swiftmas | Blogmas Day 13

December 13, 2017







Today is Taylor Swift's birthday, a woman that I completely unapologetically adore. I would like to think that among my many talents shouting about my love for her and her music is pretty high up on the list and so it came to me I should put together a post about my personal favorites or her songs as a kind of tribute. I'm going to talk about the lyrics that mean something to me and the way that she has helped me through the years of supporting her and her work.


1) Last Kiss




X
Firstly, the Speak Now era will probably always be one of the most important Taylor eras in my opinion. The lyrics on the album are like pure magic this song is honestly the breakup song of all breakup songs. I think the one part in this song that always hits me the most is 'you can plan for a change in weather and I never planned your mind'. As someone who ran away from my town during their last heartbreak I think this song and those lines capture the initial pain of it all so well. This song is not angry, this song is just like lyrical embodiment of the pain that heartbreak entails. I do not think any Taylor song will ever mean as much as I do this one does.



2) Getaway Car


The whole of Reputation is a clear way of showing how Taylor's music has evolved over the years. This song genuinely immerses me into the world and makes me feel like I have been singing a song for that is one talented woman and one incredible song. For me, the line stands out the most is 'a circus is not a love story and now we're both sorry'. Ouch, they hurt.




3) Sad Beautiful Tragic


I do not even class this as a song, to me it is a beautiful work of poetry.
These lyrics are some of the most vulnerable ones that they have ever put into the world. In fact, I think the whole of Red was probably the most vulnerable and heartfelt albums. Something about them hits a chord with me that will forever leave my heart feeling as though it has been chipped away at. I've tried to pick my favorite lyric from this song and honestly I do not think I can. Please just do it a favor and listen to it, like really really listen to it. 















4) You Are In Love

'You keep his shirt, he keeps his word'. This song perfectly fits into the feelings of falling in love, not just for the first time but everytime. That feeling of security and falling, there is nothing like it but somehow somehow managed to find something close enough. I love it and always will.

5) Enchanted
 

I'm not sure if you followed me and my blog / other social media before but until I rebranded myself in March this year my username was wwanderstruck pretty much everywhere. 'I'm wonderstruck dancing around all alone.' I think this song has always held an incredibly special place in my heart.




6) So It Goes ...

I genuinely can not comprehend why everyone is sleeping on this song. It speaks about relationships in the public eye and those when you are alone and I adore it. 'I'm yours to keep and I'm yours to lose' is my favorite line from the song. I adore it.







7) Fifteen


Despite the fact that she is eighteen this song will always remind me of my lovely friend Katie and the fact Taylor performed it on the Red tour for her. This whole song just describes the naivety that comes of falling in what you think is love for the first time. 'I've found time can heal almost anything' is the line that got me through a lot and has become one of my life mottos. This is old Taylor at her purest.






8) Delicate

Can you believe Taylor Alison Swift decided to bless our ears with these lyrics because I sure as hell can't.  The song is centred around the feeling of longing to know someone and be with them but also not being at that point in the relationship yet - kind of like the car ride home from a first date or the train ride home after staying at their house for the first time. You know the feeling I'm describing, and Taylor put it into music. 'Long nights with your hands in my hair, echos of your footsteps on the stairs.' Yes Taylor. Just yes.





9) New Years Day


I am convinced Taylor wrote this song to leave me feeling incredibly personally victimised because that the mindset that it leaves me in every single time. When reputation was released someone tweeted that New Years Day was the Taylor Swift song that they had been waiting for their whole lives and I honestly agree so much. It is fragile and beautiful and delicate in comparison to the rest of the album but also holds her new style and evolved strength and courage. I adore it. 'Hold on to the memories, they will hold on to you.'




10) Better Than Revenge


This is my song that I will scream along to at the top of my lungs while driving in the car (this is also my apology to everyone who has witnessed it because I cannot sing to save my life). A friend of mine even asked it Taylor wrote this song about me, it is the most petty and bitter song and I live for it. The chorus is incredibly powerful, the whole song is fab. 'She thinks I'm psycho because I like to rhyme her name with things' will always be the lyric that makes me laugh.





11) Come Back... Be Here


All of the feelings of the breakdown within long distance relationships are brought to life within this heartfelt song. You know that one song you can listen to and it will literally take you back to the way you were feeling when something was going on in your life, that is this for me. 'I guess you're in London today and I don't wanna need you this way.' Ouch.









12) All You Had To Do Was Stay


'Let me remind you this was what you wanted, you were all I wanted but not like that'. This is that song that is about that ex that decides to leave you and then sees how well you're doing and decides to pop back into your life for a bit. Hunnie it doesn't work like that, if you wanted to be in my life then all you had to do was stay.










13) I Almost Do


You know that feeling of knowing someone is no good for you and trying your hardest to remove them from your life despite the immense amount they mean to you? Yeah, this is the song about that. This is the song about wanting to reach out to an ex and knowing it will end badly so having to hold yourself back, it is the sorry for never replying to your attempts at getting me back but I need to work on what is good for me and you are not good for me. 

Post a Comment

© Megan Clare. Design by FCD.