What I Packed For My Year Abroad

July 11, 2018





When I applied to be an au pair I didn't really think about the fact I would have to be packing up all my belongings and moving them to another country. It was about two weeks before when the realisation of what I was going to begin to do sunk in and so I had to work out what to take, what to leave behind, and what I could ship over or bring over with me at a later date. Somehow through all the stress I managed to pack up a hand luggage case, backpack and a large case full of my life and flew off to Holland.

There are some things that I was literally so stupid about forgetting, some that looking back I really didn't need to pack at all and other things I am so so glad I packed. If you're considering a year abroad, or are just plain nosey, or (like me) have a guilty pleasure for anything packing and travel related then this is the post for you.

WHAT WAS PACKED?


9 x SWEATERS

I feel like one of the things that everyone I know is aware of when it comes to me is how much I live in sweaters, even in 30 degree weather you will find me searching for an excuse to put one on (god knows why). If anything, at least I was completely prepared for the freezing cold weather that my friend had pre-warned me Dutch winters brought with them. I had a few thinner and simpler ones and then some thicker chunky ones too. 

3 x PAIRS OF TRAINERS

My trusty white converse that just seem to go with everything, my pink and white pumas which are waterproof for the colder (and rainier or even snowier days) and my pink adidas campus shoes. All of which I live in as someone who adores flats and cycles practically everywhere while over here.

1 x PAIR OF CHELSEA BOOTS

Mainly to stop my nan bugging me about how I had 'no smart shoes packed' and how much it was stressing her out. I can't cycle for shit in them and they are a pain to walk in but they do make my outfits look that bit more put together so I am glad I brought them along for that part if anything.

3 x PAIRS OF JEANS

One pair of mon jeans, two black skinny jeans. Basically what I lived in for weeks because they were comfy and I couldn't be bothered to make too much effort.

1 x DENIM JACKET

Another staple item in my wardrobe that I literally cannot live without, I love my Levis jacket more than anything and how easy it is to style and how it can easily pull an outfit together and make things look so much nicer.

NUMEROUS T SHIRTS

I mean... you've gotta have something to pair with your jeans... right?

1 x LARGE TRAVEL MAKEUP BAG

Which held all my 'essential' makeup. (Basically highlighters, foundation, setting powder, setting spray, bronzer, my naked basics palette, modern renaissance palette, a zoeva palette and a whole heap of lipsticks.) I also had a smaller makeup bag for my makeup brushes because I own too many of those for my own good.

LAPTOP, PHONE, CAMERA AND JOURNAL

(and of course some earphones and all of the necessary charging accessories too).


STRAIGHTENERS, CURLERS AND A HAIRDRYER

I had recently come to the realisation that everyone ever looks so much more put together if they have their hair styled, I was always one to just get up in the morning and brush it and leave my hair be. However if I even just slightly tame my natural curls with my curler I look so much better, which is why these were a complete essential for me to pack.


1 x BACKPACK

I took my pink Vans backpack with my which is waterproof and perfect for everyday use, it fits my laptop in and at least enough clothes for overnight stays at friends. I also used this as part of my carry on luggage which was a godsend and seemed to work in Tardis like ways with everything it stored in it.


WHAT DID I FORGET?


You have my complete permission to call me an idiot after reading this, because honestly I felt like one.

Firstly, I managed to forget to pack any winter coats whatsoever despite having packed so many sweaters in preparation for the cold. I literally have three winter coats at my dads and two at my mums and managed to not pack a single one, I should probably give myself a pat on the back for my stupidity there really.

So within my first week of living in Holland I went out and got myself a thick winter coat from Zara which has become one of my favourite things I own to be honest. While it was an annoyance I did manage to justify spending too much money on something that would have been a stupid spend otherwise; plus it was in the sale so it was just kind of calling to me.

I also forgot a few little things like setting spray, a hairbrush (who in their right minds packs a heap of hair tools and not a hairbrush????? me apparently) and such but all of that was also purchased in my first week so we were all good from there.

Oh, and we can't forget the fact I literally only had one UK - EU power adaptor to use which was a goddamn nightmare really. I could either charge my laptop or dry my hair, and to start with before I got myself an EU phone charger it was literally like do I want to charge my phone or laptop today???? Who knows????? For sure make sure you have more than one adaptor, I thought I had packed more but it turned out my step mum gave me the American ones we had in the house and I didn't realise until I unpacked once I had landed. 

WHAT HAVE I GOT MYSELF SINCE MOVING?


Any excuse to go shopping is a good excuse to go shopping for me and after discovering my love Monki and Brandy Melville my shopping has got a little out of hand, or at least my bank account and the fact I am almost always practically broke seems to say this anyway.

Because I've been cycling so much I've lost a lot of weight, meaning I needed a few pairs of new jeans and I can honesty not recommend Monki ones enough. Their fit is perfect for me, and considering I'm 5 foot they are perfect in length too. I don't think I will ever shop at Topshop for my jeans again after this discovery.

I mentioned that I had to get myself a winter coat which happened to be bright red, and so for the spring/summer I had to maintain the brand that I had created for myself and spent hours researching the best place to get a cropped red denim jacket. Mine is from Pull & Bear and cost at least half the price of the TopShop one that I had been lusting over for weeks and would have dropped my money on had they ever had it in stock when I went in. I got it in a large for an oversized look which is something that I always go for in denim jackets though I feel these sizes do run up larger than they say and a medium would have worked just as well for my petite frame.

Numerous tops, because apparently I didn't have enough to begin with and now I'm just left wondering how the hell I'm ever going to get all of these clothes back to England with me in a two suitcases and a backpack.

I also purchased several more sweaters to add to my collection, like I mentioned Brandy Melville became my biggest weakness and with this came me buying too many sweaters I didn't need because they were just !!!! so !!!! pretty !!!!


Post a Comment

© Megan Clare. Design by FCD.